Old 20-10-2004, 11:51 AM
Norm L

Default Avocado tree looking ratty...

Hi all;
Our avocado tree is looking a bit sick and I'm not sure why. It's lost
most of it's leaves and all it's flowers. Some of the flower stems have
small avocados (10mm) on them but, really, very few.

It's a well established tree, planted long before we moved in. We've
only been at this property for about 4 years.

A few years ago I put a large circular edging around it - out about 1/2
way between the trunk and the drip line. I mulched the area between the
trunk and the edging making sure the space around the trunk was free of
mulch. I planted all sorts of plants in that mulch - anything that didn't
mind a bit of shade.

I also pruned it back a few months ago, it was just getting too tall and
wide. I've done in previous years and it didn't seem to mind.

I can't see any insect damage, and no real fungus damage on the leaves
that remain. I just don't see any new leaves.

I'm getting a bit old and forgetful but I really don't remember it
looking so ratty. Do avocados do this or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Norm