Old 20-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Beckenbach, Jay

One good thing about lurking is you get to see all the "heavy weights"
before you make a fool of yourself. This time I think I'll add my inflation
adjusted 2 cents worth.

I have tried both ways and prefer a LIGHT misting. There are two caveats
here. First, since most of my LS work is on lantana, the bark is very
light, so the "spider-webbing" which Dale rightly noted, is not very
evident. Bougies also seem to be lighter than the buttonwoods and junipers.
Second, the lantana has a soft wood. If the misting isn't done, the LS
seems to bead up before being absorbed into the wood. This is the same
problem that occurs when your soil is extra dry. I seem to get a better
application if I mist lightly first.

Remember, LS is a FUNGICIDE. It just happens to have bleaching effects.
Apply the LS for its anti-fungal purposes. If you need to preserve the
wood, apply wood hardener after the LS has done its job. Then when new
fungus starts up, treat the area again. Apply the wood hardener again too
if you need it (on lantana, I do). If you don't like the white, either tone
it down as suggested or just wait a few weeks until it tones down naturally.
If all you want is the white, there's got to be a better way than stinky LS!

If you apply wood hardener heavily, it might give a slightly shiny surface.
I haven't noticed it on my lantana since things soak in so deep, but it does
appear very slightly on my bougies. I've never been bothered by this. If I
remember correctly, Dale says that the cure to this is a light misting with
water of the wood hardened area before it dries. Right, Dale?

Try both ways and see what works for you. A light misting worked on my
lantana better than no misting or a heavy misting.

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a -