Old 16-10-2004, 04:13 AM
William Valavanis

Alan:

We not only need to know the common Japanese names when looking at
Japanese publications; I think it is necessary to know those names when
visiting Japan or when Japanese bonsai artists visit foreign countries
to teach. If you want to learn the name of the plant they are talking
about you better be able to identify it immediately or try to obtain
some kind of name so you can look it up later. The Japanese bonsai
artists are not familiar with "botanical" (not Latin..... many are of
"Greek" origin!) names and the Japanese do not care what the plant is
formally called. They just use the plant material because it is good
for bonsai training. They don't care if the plant is a Pinus parviflora
or Pinus pentaphylla or Pinus himekomatsu. All they know is that this
pine has five needles per fascicle.

Bill

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++