Old 16-10-2004, 05:19 AM
sherwindu

You may find a mature fruit tree in a nursery, but it may not be your
best choice for
transplanting either because of it's size or the difficulties with more
mature trees. These mature trees do not take well to transplanting, but
if you are willing to take the
risk, its up to you. Most young trees start out by producing just a
handful of fruit,
and people will sometimes not allow them to reach any reasonable size to
encourage
better root growth for future tree health. If you decide to buy a
non-bearing fruit tree, keep in mind that a dwarf rootstock will yield
fruit a few years sooner than a
full size tree. I'm not sure what your hurry is, but I hope it's not
part of the trend of
instant gratification some people are seeking. Watching a tree grow
from a whip is
almost like raising a child, as opposed to adopting a full grown kid.

Sherwin Dubren

Max Jefferson wrote:

Or do you have to wait 3-5 years after planting them?

I want apple trees on my property but I don't want to wait 3-5 years
until they produce fruit.