Old 20-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Rob Halgren

Bob Walsh wrote:

Rob,

I have one of those left from when I built homes. When they shut off there
is usually some fuel that hits the nose cone and gives off a noxious fume.
If the heater is in too small a space this happens too often and the fumes
build up. Kerosene burns the cleanest and gives off the least fumes.

That is good. I had debated throwing diesel in there, it is
slightly cheaper. I don't know which fuel has a higher energy content,
but I'm getting by on about 5 gallons of kerosene a day for the last few
days (lows in the low 40's, highs hovering around 50-55 with no
sunshine). Smells like a gas station in there (not noxious, but a nice
'gas-stationy' scent - the next Chanel #5), but the plants haven't
seemed to care (no bud blast yet).

The other thing to be careful of is that they will burn up all the oxygen.
If you start feeling at all dizzy get to fresh air fast!

Yes, it does seem a little counter-intuitive to have to leave the
vents open a bit when you are blasting the heater. But the instructions
(what, I read the instructions? How did that happen?) said to leave 3
square feet of ventilation for every 100,000 BTU. My little heater is
115,000 BTU, and I made the appropriate calculations.

I hope the sun comes out sometime this week...

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )