Old 20-10-2004, 04:42 PM
San Diego Joe

"Ann in Houston" wrote:

I was at the vet's the other day and they were treating a Labrador for this
parasite. It supposedly comes from the dog drinking from a natural waterway
where "infected" flukes were present. My fish have never had flukes, but I
wonder if it would hurt our neighbor's dog if he drank water from my pond
and they actually had a case of them before I knew of it. Flukes are bad
enough, but "infected" ones? I wouldn't worry about it, but it just made me
wonder because he is such a nice dog.

Hi Ann,

One of my dogs was diagnosed with it about a year ago. She was treated and
was fine. They all drink from the pond and that is the first time any have
been found ill because of it. If you take the pet to the vet early enough,
it should not be a problem. Try doing a google search on giardia and it will
tell you all you need to know.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.