Old 20-10-2004, 05:56 PM
Brian S.

Well,

Metal Halide does provide more powerful lights in a smaller area, but I
would recommend the compact fluorescent fixtures over metal halide.

The reason I say this is because metal halide gives off A LOT of heat which
can adversely affect your water temperature. They also suck a lot of power
too so your power bill will be higher.

With compact fluroescents, they are rumored to use 1/3 the power of a
typical fluorescent bulb but gives off 3 times the power as the standard
bulb. In addition to that, they don't have near as much heat output as
metal halide.

Compact fluorescents also are a bit less expensive than metal halide.

Not really sure what size tank you have, but if you provide up to 5 watts
per gallon of water, you will have plenty of good growing plants.

On the flip side, you also have to be careful what plants you choose because
some plants cannot put up with the very bright lighting and can turn leaves
transparent colors or even kill them.

Brian S.

"Spyder2x" wrote in message
Ok, Great...Thanks Brian. I do wonder though if the Metal Halide lights

are
ok. The wife says she read that the k-level is too low? After I first read
your post I went down and purchased 4 175 watt MH fixtures...then I get

home
and hear her news. It is a freshwater tank that I hope to plant heavily.

If
that helps.

--Jim--

"Brian S." wrote in message
Definitely light is more important.

Plants need the following essentials in this order: Light, carbon
dioxide,
and trace nutrients.

The trace nutrients are typically made available from uneaten food and
fish
waste.

Brian S.

"Spyder2x" wrote in message
Hello all,

I am wanting to add both a pressurized CO2 and a

nice
lighting system. My question though is which one should I add first? I
currently have a DIY CO2, and around 100 watts of flourescent lights

over
135 U.S. Gal tank. The lights will be Metal Halide (these are ok for

plants
right?) Thanks for any help.

--Jim--