Old 20-10-2004, 05:44 PM
Bill Stock

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 12:02:45 -0400, "Bill Stock"

wrote:

What's the scoop on Sting Algae

Can't help myself....... if you have the true Sting variety, use caution
when removing. ;o)

I obviously missed something here. Do Algae removal and baptism go hand in
hand?

LOL.

, does it prefer cooler weather?

Absolutely! This is why we cover the the Demon Pond (and my Lily Pond)
with shade cloth for fall/winter/early spring. Keeps the leaves out and
keeps the sun blocked just enough so the SA can't grow, yet the dormant
lilies are not impaired by it at all. ~ jan

Does it _prefer_ cooler weather, or is it just using up the extra sunlight
now available because the lilies are dormant? I think you'd have just as
much string algae in the summer if you didn't have the lilies. I guess it
does thrive at temps where most other plants are dying back, though.
--
derek