Old 21-10-2004, 05:24 AM
Edward Reid

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:47:53 -0400, Leon Fisk wrote
It doesn't say so here, but I've seen this locally and it
was made by Fiskars. I'm not sure how long it would hold up
under hard use though...

http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=sw3

Yes, I wouldn't trust it for this job. I don't think I mentioned -- the
clerodendrum has pretty tough roots -- it spreads by runners -- and
they spread quite a way. Ardesia has even tougher roots.

I also saw this locally and it looked pretty heavy duty.
Hard to say for sure though, it would depend on the quality
of the wood handle and steel that was used.

http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=gwc1

Now this is certainly interesting. Much better pictures at the
manufacturer's web site:

http://www.grampasweeder.com/

Reasonable price too, about 1/4 of the Extractigator. It might help
with the smaller clerodendrum, though not with the ardesia. It should
be useful for a variety of other things. I think I'd still have to put
a board under the lever arm in soft soil.

Pulling the larger clerodendrum definitely requires either a VERY
strong grip on the stem or roots, or getting under the roots. Some of
the devices around look like they just won't grip tightly enough.

FACE: I sort of like the idea of pulling them with the car. Might be a
bit slow, as there's probably well over 100 stems needing this
treatment, and that doesn't even count the small ones that are easier
to pull. Maybe I could do this trick with my bicycle, which is easier
to maneuvre? ;-)

Earlier discussion mentioned the Weed and Brush Puller at

http://www.naturalgardening.com/cgi-bin/shop/S-
Mart.cgi?command=listitems&type=group&pos=0&pg=too ls&group=garden

I asked, and they sent me a photo of the entire device. For anyone
who's interested, I've put that photo up at

http://paleo.org/temp/tools_weedbrush.jpg

It looks like it also has a lever arrangement -- two flat prongs coming
out the back. I've asked for clarification. The prongs look a little
wider than the others, but I think would still need a board in my soil,
but maybe not always.

My search continues, but I'm feeling a lot better about the choices
available. Thanks!

Edward