Old 19-10-2004, 04:27 PM
Basil Chupin

Ken Oaf wrote:
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:24:08 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

My neighbour uses pool chlorine mixed, I think he said, at 1 or 2
tablespoons per watering-can. Of course, you use it where no other
plants are growing, eg paths etc.

I haven't used it myself yet and was not especially happy with the idea
of using chlorine particularly where it may leach into nearby lawn area.
However, another friend, who is a chemist, said that chlorine evaporates
rather quickly in sunlight and therefore may not stay in the soil to be
leached.

All I now need to do is to get a small container of this pool chlorine
to test out the theory.

Not a smart thing to do, especially if you have pets that may walk over the area
treated with chlorine.

A very good point. We do have a Dalmation who is the master of the
backyard and patrols every square metre of it to keep the possums and
the resident magpie family out (well... he tries :-) ).

Thanks for the tip. Our neighbour doesn't have this problem because he
uses the mixture on the nature strip which is totally made up of crushed
red brick and Paddy's River gravel.

Cheers.

--
Sound that shatters silence is called noise. Sound that enhances silence
is called music.