Old 21-10-2004, 01:45 PM
TRAINMAN9

I would be wary of using a household "bomb" on a collection of plants. They
are designed to kill bugs in structures, not plant collections.

I would agree but before recommending an insecticide I think you need to know
what the growing conditions are. I don't think you want to use Orthene if
growing in the house as opposed to growing in a greenhouse.

Secondly after treating the problem I think you need to review the growing
methods and reduce the overall need for using chemical methods to control
insects. Mealybugs thrive in dry conditions as do many other pests. Eliminate
the poor conditions and you may eliminate the problem.

It may be necessary to remove the plants from their pots and drench them in an
insecticide mixture rather than just spraying.

I would recommend Knox-Out which is a safer product overall than some others.
It is micro-encapsulated diazanon and has a two to three week residual effect
and then breaks down. In addition it will not harm flowers or damage leaves on
orchids like some other products can.