Old 21-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Derek Broughton

Snooze wrote:

"Bill Kerrell" wrote in message
news:EkDdd.51342$hj.31901@fed1read07...
My pond is forming light foam where the water flows back into the pond

from
the water fall ..?? It seems I read from one of our group about the water
condition that causes this .. Can someone help ??

You have dissolved organic compounds in the water. Here is the answer from
the FAQ.

29: Why is there foam at the base of my waterfall?

Top Foam in the pond is rarely caused by soap as many containing dissolved
organic compounds (DOC). DOC may be caused by fish wastes or by decaying
plant matter. First clean the bottom of
the pond and ensure that there is no decaying leaf mold. If you have
eliminated the source, no more foam should appear. If the source of the
DOC is your fish, you can remove it with activated carbon (sources claim
from one to eight pounds of carbon in the the filter (or in the base of
the waterfall). Put the carbon in a pantyhose leg so that you can easily
remove it later. It should be removed once the foam disappears.

One more thing - if you don't have much foam, simply scooping it out as it
appears solves the problem. Most of your DOCs are ending up in the
bubbles, so are simply removed. This is the basic principle of the protein
skimmer used in practically all reef aquaria.
--
derek