Old 21-10-2004, 03:42 PM
FACE

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 0:24:56 -0400, Edward Reid in
rec.gardens wrote:

Pulling the larger clerodendrum definitely requires either a VERY
strong grip on the stem or roots, or getting under the roots. Some of
the devices around look like they just won't grip tightly enough.

I just did a Google Image on clerodendrum and it really looks very pretty --
but maybe those are specialty cultivars.

FACE: I sort of like the idea of pulling them with the car. Might be a
bit slow, as there's probably well over 100 stems needing this
treatment, and that doesn't even count the small ones that are easier
to pull. Maybe I could do this trick with my bicycle, which is easier
to maneuvre? ;-)

If you do it on a bike, then be prepared to go over the handlebars when you
reach the end of the rope.

I know that the car trick sounds drastic. I only use it for opportunistic
trees that have gotten to a coupla feet and man-powered pulling is out of
the question. Even then i will spade around the trunk to loosen things up a
bit before I pull. (That's the trunk of the tree -- not the car.)

Earlier discussion mentioned the Weed and Brush Puller at

http://www.naturalgardening.com/cgi-bin/shop/S-
Mart.cgi?command=listitems&type=group&pos=0&pg=to ols&group=garden

I asked, and they sent me a photo of the entire device. For anyone
who's interested, I've put that photo up at

http://paleo.org/temp/tools_weedbrush.jpg

It looks like it also has a lever arrangement -- two flat prongs coming
out the back. I've asked for clarification. The prongs look a little
wider than the others, but I think would still need a board in my soil,
but maybe not always.

For $115 it should do the pulling by itself while you sit on the porch. :-)

Consider that you can buy a "specialty" shovel from Home Depot for about 5
bucks. Actually, this specialty shovel is cleverly disguised to look like a
common pointed shovel, but incorporates a hardened steel pointed end and a
wide thin blade engineered for easy ground penetration up to 8 inches as
well as a long hardwood handle for excellent leverage.

Most especially after a rain that has softened the ground this scientific
and ergonometric implement will easily dislodge roots that have grappled
into down into soil and allow an easy pickup of the targeted plant or
seedling tree.

The writer here has had much experience using this amazing device which is
multi-usage and can also be employed for other things like digging holes in
the ground. Just last week the wife spotted a nice fern back in the woods
that was really supposed to be at the edge of the yard and using the
specialty shovel and spading in a circle around the subject fern a perfect
root ball was made which with the final push came up from the ground cradled
on the wide specialty blade.

Amazing device!

FACE

My search continues, but I'm feeling a lot better about the choices
available. Thanks!

Edward