Old 21-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Phil L

prologica wrote:
:: Hi All!
:: On my East facing wall is a very prominent and ugly exhaust vent
:: from the CH boiler that i'd love to hide.
::
:: My thought was to build a trellis-based structure around it (the
:: timber would probably be 18-24" away from the vent) and grow a
:: climber/wall shrub up it.
::
:: But which plant could stand the extremes of normal daytime
:: temperatures, hot exhausts during colder evenings as the CH kicks
:: in, followed by sudden drop in temperature as the heating goes off
:: for the night, before kicking in again around 6am? (Oh and it
:: needs to be evergreen or dense enough to perform the disguising
:: job!. . .)
::
:: Any thoughts (lateral or otherwise) much appreciated.

Don't put anything near the outlet or you could end up killing the occupants
of the house with carbon monoxide gas....this is the extreme end of the
spectrum...at the other end is the fact that your boiler won't function
properly, if at all with it's exhaust blocked - it takes only a small amount
of vegetation to block the outlet - half a dozen leaves is ample.

PS
The outlets on most modern boilers are also the inlet for fresh air to feed
the boiler too.