Old 21-10-2004, 09:13 PM
simy1

wrote in message ...

Any suggestions short of building these "pet" trees a heated
greenhouse? I'd appreciate pointers and references as well as your
ideas. Please post here, or if you want to correspond, take the
".no-uce" out of my email address.

The order of things I would try:

- positioning 4-5 oildrums full of water on either side of them and
behind them
- more micronutrients in the fertilizer (a few handfuls of wood ash
every year for example)

Though these things are two zones removed from their northern range,
and don't even get full sun. It's very difficult. Even a greenhouse
would not be a guarantee. I have healthy jujube trees, they produce
prolifically but never -ever- ripen before frost, and the jujubes are
at their northern edge near a hot sunny patio. Not to mention the
chestnuts and hardy kiwis skipping years. Maybe you need apple, cherry
and plum trees in those pots.