Old 15-10-2004, 02:46 PM
Derek Broughton

Shankar Patel wrote:

Hi. I am a novice in this field.

Hi Shankar - we all were once :-)

I have recently built a 1,000 Liter
tank (approx-250 G, dimension 7Ft * 3Ft, 2Ft deep) in my garden
(Ahmedabad, India). It is built with bricks/mortar and covered in/out
by glaze tiles/glass mosaic.

That's an unusual design by most of our standards (we tend to dig holes and
either leave them natural (if they're very large) or line them with either
flexible liners (mid-sized) or preformed plastic containers (small). But
it takes all kinds, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone else here has
done exactly the same :-)

Yearly temparature varies between 5C (1
or 2 nights during winter) to 45C (1 or 2 afternoons during summer)
degree centigrades. Annual rainfall (June-Sept) 25 inches. Tank is
open to sky.

Not unlike some of the southern US. A bit warmer than I'm used to!

1. I will be glad if someone could guide me to a website with "useful
advise ***AND*** Common/scientific names ***AND*** pictures of aqua
life (including plants)"

The difficulty here (at rec.ponds) may be that we tend to be North American
and don't know what plants are available to you - but I'm sure we can find
some sources that will help. K30 tends to have great lists of these things
and will post them, I'm sure.

2. I would like to have aqua life in my small pond tobe SELF-sustained
with minimal intervention just in case it may have tobe left unttended
for few days whenever we are not at home.

That's the aim of most of us. Keep your planting levels high and your
fish/animal levels low and it's possible. Filtration allows you to
increase the animal loads, but even in your temperatures it should be
possible to have a garden pond without filtration.
--
derek