Old 21-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Robert E A Harvey

leelizard wrote in message ...
Does anyone know where I can buy Highly Decaded Humus???? Is there
anything else that is similar? Is it possible to buy decaded leaf mold
or something similar. I have been told that Mushroom growers use humus
but had much luck finding out any more info.

Humus is just the organic, often fibrous, content of loam. It
provides water retention and some of the nutrient content, and a
medium for the soil organisms that make the soil 'alive'. Yes, leaf
mould is good, as is anything from a well made compost heap.

Our local council sells bags of compost made from the green stuff
people deliver to the tip. The local topsoil merchant sells compost
too, and there are large professional suppliers. Many riding schools
can provide well-rotted manure, (but be sure it is well-rotted) and
you can make compost yourself from kitchen waste, grass cuttings, and
garden debris. Search the group's archive on google for tips on
composting.

You can buy leaf mould, but it will be expensive. Collect the leaves
around at the moment and put them in a wire compost bin for next year!