Old 22-10-2004, 02:06 AM
Penelope Periwinkle

On 21 Oct 2004 14:29:08 -0700, (dave nuckles)
wrote:

I've had a good batch of Habanero peppers this year and want to dry
some out to use as a seasoning throughout the year. I tried hanging
them from a string in the window (and it's been warm out) but most are
turning a dark brown from the inside which I fear may be rot rather
than drying. Can someone enlighten me as to the most efficient method
for drying? Would the brown ones be no good at this time?

Turn the oven on to its lowest temperature,or around 150F and
allow it to heat completely. Put the peppers in and turn off the
oven. Allow it to cool, then check the peppers and remove the
ones that are dry. Repeat for the ones that aren't. You can dry
whole peppers, but they'll dry faster if you slice them.

If you have a gas range, you can probably dry them with just the
pilot light. Just don't forget they're in there and crank up the
heat to fix dinner!

I'd toss the brown ones, no use risking food poisoning.

hth

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"