Old 15-10-2004, 10:26 PM
mimus

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:11:45 GMT, Gary Woods
wrote:

(mimus) wrote:

You can grow the dam' things on newspaper, or rather in newspaper-
stuffed cardboard boxes . . . .

Then IIRC you induce fruiting by tossing the boxes in water for a day
or so, and allowing them to drain.

Can you point me at any links? I got some oyster mushrooms at a local
(Hudson Valley, NY) garlic festival, and want very much to grow my own.
I'll likely start with a kit from mushroompeople, but would like to do it
"from scratch."

Well, I lost my library in a housefire several years ago, and only
replaced the basics (Orson K. Miller's _Mushrooms of North America_
and Paul Stamets' _The Psilocybe Mushrooms and Their Allies_), and I
don't remember where the newspaper cultivation was described.

There's a nice collection of messages by some highly respectable types
(eg, Stamets) at

http://www.ecosyn.us/ecocity/Ecosyn/...-mushrooms.txt

The page refers to "www.mycoweb.com", but that URL is now been taken
over by a Dutch IT company-- there is a "mykoweb", now, but that's
North America West Coast oriented.

There's also a fairly dense page at

http://archives.thenook.org/tek/GGuide.html

--