Old 15-10-2004, 11:09 PM
Aaron Hicks

Well, it's interesting, but don't put too much faith in it
knocking down all the walls.

CITES as we knew it last month:

Importer: "This is a cattleya."
Inspector: "It's clearly a paphiopedilum. I don't care what the label
says. It's confiscated as it is listed on CITES Appendix I, and you do not
have permits for that sort of thing."

CITES as we may know it in coming months:

Importer: "This is a paphiopedilum hybrid."
Inspector: "Looks like a species to me. I don't care what the label says.
It's confiscated as paph species are listed on CITES Appendix I, and you
do not have permits for that sort of thing."

Maybe I'm stupid and overlooking something, but although this may
benefit those that would like to import large quantities of orchid
hybrids, it's not going to do much for smaller growers or importers.
Large, established growers who export huge cartons of orchids may be able
to receive exemption when they move a hundred thousand phals or
intergenetics or (gasp!) paph hybrids, but it'd probably be much tougher
for someone who imports 100 plants twice a year.

As such, it would seem to be an exemption for large growers, and
business-as-usual for everyone else.

Plus, it's up to the individual signatory nations to *interpret*
those changes. The United States might view those rules as being very
different from the way other countries- and individuals- view them.

The e-mail address in the header isn't valid. Send no mail there.

Cheers,

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ