Old 22-10-2004, 03:51 AM
Joe

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message ...
Joe: You didn't say where you were, or whether you were growing indoors or
out. Up north where Ray is, it's probably already cool by now, or at least
cooler than down here in South Florida, and I'm sure his humidity is
substantially lower than ours

I'm growing indoors in the Seattle area. So yeah, it's much cooler
and, blessedly, much less humid than in Florida. Plus, my apartment
is fairly cool most of the time.

But in my neck of the woods, that plastic bag trick does little good and can
do a lot of harm. If the humidity is already 80% or more [which ours
generally is], it doesn't need to be raised; and if the temp is already 85F
or more [which ours generally is], it really shouldn't be raised [which the
plastic bag will do] -- orchids really don't like to be steamed.

Our temp and humidity are nowhere near that.

With the exception of cutting the one active root on the Phal, you did
exactly what I would've done in the same situation. Good growing,

I've heard that trimming the active root promotes growth. This is not
the case?

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids