Old 22-10-2004, 08:22 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Phil L
writes
Mike Lyle wrote:
snip
:: At all costs, as has already been pointed out, airflow in and
:: exhaust flow out mustn't be restricted. So we don't want anything
:: growing actually _on_ the protective grille, which rules out
:: climbers.

This is what worries me the most - people think 'ah well, the heat from the
boiler will kill off any growth near the inlet' - It doesn't...in the summer
months, when the boiler's inactive

Most boilers are used for hot water all year round.

and the plants are going berserk, this is
when it gets blocked...come Autumn, fire up the boiler and a housefull of
carbon monoxide is the result.

The last bit seems to be an unlikely result with a balanced flue or
modern fanned flue boiler. The boilers are 'room sealed' air is drawn in
from outside and the exhaust gases vent out through the same flue, there
should be no route into the house.

Only problem would be if it stopped flue gases escaping from the flue
area and instead directed them in some way to an open window or door. .
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ: