Old 22-10-2004, 01:01 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 22:37:07 +0100, leelizard
wrote:

Does anyone know where I can buy Highly Decaded Humus???? Is there
anything else that is similar? Is it possible to buy decaded leaf mold
or something similar. I have been told that Mushroom growers use humus
but had much luck finding out any more info.

Ask your local council. Some now have a composting scheme where you
take your compost to the local tip and they compost it in large
quantities. Some councils sell it back to you (cheek!) or some let
you have it free, bag for bag,(eg Dorset). Some don't do it yet, if
not pester them!
Mushroom compost is a very good soil improver if you are not too
concerned about what additives may be included. I have used it for
over 10 years with good results and an occasional crop of mushrooms.

If you have a local riding stables, they will often let you have bags
of horse manure. You will need to stack it for a year or more until
it is well rotted (decayed). Don't use it fresh on the soil.

Pam in Bristol