Old 22-10-2004, 09:13 PM

In uk.d-i-y Kevin Walton wrote:
Hi all

I know from a quick read that a lot of you are not keen on cordless
chainsaws for a number of different reasons, but I have to say that in
my experience I personally feel that they do fill a valuable gap
between loppers and a Petrol / Electric chainsaw. It may be my fault,
but I don't get on with a bow saw for anything bigger than say 2.5"
diameter, the cordless chain saw would do 2.5" with ease and cope with
3.5".

I had a cheap brand cordless chainsaw from Argos this summer and it
was great - it had limitations in branch size and battery life, but it
became invaluable. Unfortunately last month it died on me and the two
retailers that I know stocked them (Argos & B&Q) in the UK both say
they are discontinued.

Does anyone know if they are still sold in the UK anywhere, or does
anyone in the UK have one that is sitting around that they want to
sell, or is anyone going on hols to the US and want to bring me one
back for a profit?

I bought a cordless 'lopper' from B&Q recently which is actually a
mini chainsaw. I wanted it for trimming bigg[ish] branches off trees
up our (7 acre) garden where I can't get the mains powered chainsaw
that I normally use.

I've been quite impressed with it in practice, it will cut through 4" or
even 5" oak tree branches without too much trouble. It won't do this
for long of course but I don't need it to. It cost £50. You can get
extra batteries for it. The charger turns itself off after
charging which is a good plus as well.

It's an 'own brand' B&Q.

--
Chris Green