Old 23-10-2004, 03:28 AM
Franz Heymann

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:
"Kevin Walton" wrote in message
om...
Hi all

I know from a quick read that a lot of you are not keen on

cordless
chainsaws for a number of different reasons, but I have to say

that
in my experience I personally feel that they do fill a valuable

gap
between loppers and a Petrol / Electric chainsaw. It may be my
fault, but I don't get on with a bow saw for anything bigger than
say 2.5" diameter, the cordless chain saw would do 2.5" with ease
and cope with
3.5".

Reciprocating electric saws are quite effective at dealing with

limbs
up to 2 or 3 inches diameter and are much safer than chain saws.

Having had the full ATB training course on chain saws, I'm horrified
by what I see. Poor maintenance (or none), insufficient protective
gear (or none), clumsy technique (or none). I seriously think there
should be a licence to drive one of those things. I agree on the
reciprocating saw; but on the other hand, a bow saw with a brand new
blade is good enough for _most_ gardeners: what does it matter if it
takes five minutes to cut through a branch instead of thirty

seconds?
If one needs a rest and a cup of tea half-way, well, why not?

The trouble with bow saws is that the bow always seems to get in the
way.

Franz