Old 23-10-2004, 07:14 AM
gregpresley

well, it is an east coast native, but not exactly what I would call a
friendly plant. Anyone who has taken a pleasant nature walk in an eastern
forest and had a tendril of smilax come swooping out of nowhere, like the
living apple trees in the wizard of oz, to scratch the living daylights out
of a face or an arm, knows exactly what I'm talking about......
That being said, the plants make a big tuber, like a potato, and it
would be an easy thing to clip off the nasty scratchy vine, and dig at the
base to get one of them to transplant into your yard.
"Christopher Green" wrote in message
om...
(Royce) wrote in message

om...
We're looking for smilax which have read here is also called
greenbriar. Where can we purchase bulbs?

Royce

Are you _quite_sure_ you want it? Roundleaf greenbrier or catbrier, S.
rotundifolia, is so invasive that many places have eradication
programs. It's not something people want taking over their garden.

See Uva et al, Weeds of the Northeast (Cornell University Press,
Ithaca, NY).

--
Chris Green