Old 20-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Jim Lewis

On 20 Oct 2004 at 22:32, Anil Kaushik wrote:

Hi Everybody

Enough observations and opinions have been posted on this forum regarding LS
application. Can I dare say that I never liked the artificial appearence it
renders to the wood.

In many instances I agree wholeheartedly. MOST trees when they
weather go silvery gray, NOT bone white as LS imparts. And even
"toned" with India ink (or better, wood stain) it tends to have
a "painted on" look for a long time after application.

Still, in the high desert of the American west you do
occasionally find a juniper or two with starkly white bleached
wood IN THE MOST EXPOSED AREAS. Elsewhere the wood grades to
silver gray, even black, and is much more beautiful than
bleached bonsai ever get

Where 99.999% of LS-treated bonsai err is that the wood is a
bleached white EVERYWHERE! That just doesn't happen.

Lime sulfuring of deadwood is another of those slavish, follow-
the-leader techniques of bonsai-dom. (IMHO)

The UGLIEST lime sulfuring I see regularly down here is on bald
cypress which NEVER have white bleached deadwood (except when
sitting on bonsai tables).

Instead if systemic anti fungal paste is applied and
after drying, is brushed off with a nylon bursh, it looks better and
protects the wood from fungi. The other alternative is transparent and
colourless wood paint/warnish (diluted with thinner) that besides preserving
the wood, gives matte-finish gloss and at the same time enhances the natural
colour and grain of the wood!

While I have a hard time believing that any antifungal agent
(including lime sulfur) applied to dead wood on a bonsai will
maintain antifungal properties for more than a few hours, or
will affect the fungi that MAY attack the wood in any event, the
varnish, or lacquer, or polyethylene, or wood hardener, will
offer considerable protection because they seal the wood away
from nasty thingies.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++