Old 23-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Witchy Mama said:

ok well here is a photo of the "carrots". And yes I realise the soil
looks pretty horrible, but yeah its this really red clay about 10cm
under so I spend like 3 weeks just trying to dig it down enough lol...

[image: http://home.ripway.com/2004-9/169110/carrot.gif]

Those look like they could be carrots, whose seedling leaves are long
and slender and superficially grassy. The fact that they are all in even
pairs is a good sign; weedy grasses send up a single leaf (which might
be quickly followed by a smaller second leaf). Watch for any sprouts
with broad seed leaves (definitely not carrots).

Here are some pictures of wild carrot seedlings [watch the line wrap]:
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nursery-...t/wild_carrot_
Daucus_carota_page.html

Here's a picture of older carrot seedlings (with theirt true leaves) mixed with
some weeds:
http://www.plant.wageningen-ur.nl/news/2001-18_NL.htm

A rough translation of the caption, using Bablefish and some educated
guessing:
"Plantings of carrots [are especially likely to suffer from] large quantities of weeds
if [sown in fields which were] in the cultivation of potatoes or wheat in preceding
years; many weeds [survive] early mechanical weed suppression."

(attributed to Don Marti)