Old 23-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Richard wrote:

It took me 2 days to reduce approx 12 Lawson Cypress that were possibly
planted in 1953 from above almost ridge height of a two storey house to
approx 10' in height. This included cutting the bits up to fit my
trailer (8' x 4') and taking it to the tip (5 mile round trip). The
trunks are approx 14" diameter at the thickest (not where I cut them!).

To do this I used a 20 or 22" bow saw with a new green wood blade. My
bigger bow saw was too clumsy to be effective.

But I was knackered after all that and yes I really wish I had a chainsaw!

That's quite impressive. However, if you include the time for setting
up and maintaining a chainsaw, my suspicion is that it would have been
SLOWER. After all, it CAN only reduce the cutting time, and not the
other aspects. The same would not be true if you did that once a
fortnight.

I agree that you would have got less tired, but think of how much
you have improved your life expectancy :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.