Old 23-10-2004, 03:51 PM
Aardvark

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 18:59:03 GMT, Pam Moore
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:10:42 +0100, zippo4
wrote:

Can anyone suggest a quicker way of collecting leaves from a gravel
drive other than the very tedious method of rake and hand? I don't have
a huge gravel driveway but it is overhung by lots of trees and clearing
it is a very slow job.

I did think of a leaf collecting type gadget but want sure if that
would suck up the gravel too?

I have a similar problem with a gravelled front garden, which is
planted.
Up the road are a couple of hornbeams and I have discovered that the
leaves do not rot down. In spite of gathering about 8 bin-bags of
leaves over last winter, some of the leaves are still lying there,
quite undecayed, under bushy plants etc. Soon there'll be another
lot.
Anyone any idea how much I might need to pay to hire a blower/vac for
a day (or half)?

Pam in Bristol

Pam

This autumn, water the leaves in the bags to get them wet. Stick a
shovelful of earth in the top of each bag. Puncture holes in the bags
to let in air. Close the tops of the bags losely, just a twist will
do. Stack away and use as next winters mulch.

Last years bagged leaves could be turned out and given the same
treatment as above. I suspoect that they may have compressed down a
bit so turning them out will introduce some air into the mix.

hth

phil