Old 08-02-2003, 11:54 PM
~ jan

Default adding salt

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 17:04:05 GMT, wrote:

Jo Ann says 0.025 or 1/5 lb of salt per 100 gallons is fine with Quick Cure. More
and it rips up the gills. Ingrid

I've had it up to 0.1% salt and used formalin, didn't see any negative
behavior from the fish.... but I did not look closely at the gills, so
minor damage could have happen. I'd go with what JoAnn said, she probably
looks at gills more often than I do. ;o)

Les, One of the Vets, Sandy Yosha, that taught the wet lab for the AKCA
KHA's recommended salt ONLY when there was a problem.

Many hobbyist, including myself, have had good results with an increase in
salt (0.1%) in the spring and feeding Romet B. Throughout the season we
lower our salt content with water changes and might (or might not) bring it
up again in the fall. A lot depends on fish behavior, I add salt if I see
even one fish flash, but only to 0.1%.

I do have to add though, a lot of my success, imo, is due to a profuse
period of quarantining any new fish and I haven't added a new fish for
almost 2 years now.
(But that's what happens when the pond is full. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a