Old 23-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Cereus-validus.

Sorry, there is no debate. No need to antagonize the master debaters in the
group!!!

Citrus is the same singular and plural. There is no such thing as
citruseseseseses.

Try using dilute vinegar to get rid of calcium carbonate. Calcium acetate is
water soluble.

"Atlas" wrote in message
I'm italian.

Italy's citruses are quite famous.

Nevertheless there has been a long debate about how to fight calcium
carbonate in water, for feeding plants (citruses), in an italian gardening
newsgroup, and I couldn't get through it to make the right choice.

That's how it all began

It is well known how calcium carbonates (either in water or in the soil)
limits the proper absorption of essentials minerals, tipically iron,
magnesium and manganese (chlorosis), and how these problem is magnified

when
pots are used for containing the plants.

Also using pots has worst effects due to higher concentration of deposits.

In my case I have to deal with a very calcareus water, a high Ph (8/8,5).

I haven't got a detailed analysis of the water.

I know that to have a properly targeted advise I should know important
information about active calcium carbonate, Ph, electric conductivity and

so
forth.

Nevertheless speaking with a citrus expert, I've been advised to put some
citric acid into the water (30g per 100 Liters) to break calcium

carbonate.

And here the debate began.

Some people said that citric acid can break calcium carbonate, but leaves
calcium ions in the water, makeing it soluble and ready to the plants.

They
where thinking that the effect is worst.

This is were my question comes in.

1) Are the effects of the calcium carbonate worst of soluble calcium?

2) Is it possible to "rinse" the soil in the pots to wash out calcium
carbonate and salts left out from fertilizers?

Is there any effective (cheap test) to work it out? I would like to avoid
water analysis but, if it is the only way to set a proper strategy I will

go
through it.

Thanks

P.S. - The soil isn't calcareous. It is made on purpose for citruses.