Old 18-10-2004, 09:21 AM
GARLAND HANSON

Manzanita is a good choice. Andy's Orchids in So. Cal uses it extensively
for his mounted orchid species. I don't know how he preps it, if at all
though. If you are interested, his site is at
http://www.andysorchids.com/default.asp

Good luck!
Garland

"Lori Siegmund" wrote in message
om...
Hi All,

I just stumbled on this thread, and am so glad.... as I was wondering
if manzanita trunks and large branches would make decent orchid
mounting material. Any opinions on that? This is manzanita that is
native to Northern California. I have plenty of it on our property.
Some of it pretty old and obviously dead looking. The red bark is all
peeled away. Nothing but weathered, gray, gnarly twisted trunks and
limbs. Pretty cool looking stuff!

Wendy, how long do you soak the bark in Malathion and then in clear
water? Also, have you ever tried manzanita for mounting your orchids?

Thanks!
Lori