Old 24-10-2004, 02:46 AM
Kenni Judd

Rob: Seems old to me, too, but I just now saw this one. Not being a judge,
nor student judge, nor even a clerk for the judges, I've never actually read
the handbook. I was only reporting what actually happens, at the monthly
judgings at the AOS HQ. So I think you probably hit on the head with "rules
never stopped anyone" G. Kenni

It seems like this is an old topic, maybe my news server is sending me
old stuff again, but I'll respond anyway. Just _try_ to keep me from
responding, I dare you... *grin*

Well...

According to the AOS Handbook on Judging and Exhibition, shining leaves
is strictly verboten. It seems to have disappeared off my desk (here at
work, why anybody here would want it is beyond me...), so I can't quote
chapter and verse. Are you sure that they want them shined, and not
just cleaned? Cleaning leaves is ok (and encouraged). Giving the
leaves an artificial shine is against the rules. Always has been,
unless of course I can't read (always an option), in which case feel
free to tell me I'm an idiot. Geography should have nothing to do with
it, that is why they published the darned handbook...

I always assumed that the distinction was that you could remove hard
water stains, etc, but you couldn't apply oils or other artificial
'waxy' substances to the plant. I have no idea why, mind you, although
I do find an overly oiled specimen (of any phylum) be be a little
gaudy. Seems like a trivial thing to get upset over. Although if it is
in the handbook, I'd be certain to mention it the next time you bring in
a plant. That will get you bonus points (*grin*).

Rules have never stopped anybody, of course. Quick assignment to one of
the student judges out there - look that up and report. I can make
assignments that now that I've been 'elevated' to probationary. It
sounds so angelic. "Elevation". I think the next phase is 'ascension
directly into orchid heaven'. Oh, I'm in trouble now....

Rob (agitator extraordinaire)

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit