Old 24-10-2004, 02:18 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Mostyn" wrote in message
Could some one point me in the right direction.
I have 3 Lillis in my pond no fish as yet but I am going to stock with

koi,
I have been told that any plants in baskets will have to be removed as
Koicarp will decimate them.
Is this true should I take away my beautiful Lillis and all my other

plants.
or leave them in.
I was told that the ones in the bog garden would be safe.

----------------------------------
If there are no koi in the bog garden they will be ok. ;o) As for the
lilies and other plants and koi. My koi don't eat the lilies or most other
plants - they RIP them out of the pots and kill them that way. They remove
all the gravel over the soil, then the soil itself until the plant floats
free.... what a mess. I now "bag" the whole pot with bird netting. That
solved the problem of koi rooting in the pots. They will eat the roots off
WH and WL so I keep them in the settling tank. They don't eat the plant
itself, just the roots. There are plants the koi don't touch at
all...sweet flag, water iris, lizards tail to name a few. I feed my koi the
catfish food for $8.99 per 50 lbs and they're thriving on it. This year I
added kitten and puppy chow. They love that as well as the worms I toss to
them when working in the garden.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone."