Old 17-10-2004, 11:40 PM
Les Dowdell

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 01:57:43 GMT, Iris Cohen wrote:

As regards your request for the placement of stress on particular syllables,
my comment would be that the Japanese language does not use stresses but,
instead, uses rising and dropping inflections.

So how do I, with round eyes, pronounce Natsukoyuki without breaking my teeth?
Arigato
Iris,

Iris

Natsukoyuki has five (5) syllables:
na - as in natural
tsu - as in tsu (hard to find in English)
ko - as in cone
yu - as in you
ki - as in key
Pronounce each syllable with equal stress and timing. That will bring it
close enough to be understood by a Japanese speaker. The inflections are
harder to write with this charcter set and may best be found in a dictionary
and explained in a Japanese language text.

To keep this message bonsai related, I would just say that it sounds like
these would be a bit large to be companion plants in a tokonoma display.

douitashimashite

Best wishes in bonsai,
Les Dowdell
Yuki no shita ni sunde imasu. (Living under the snow)

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++