Old 24-10-2004, 04:40 PM
simy1

"Atlas" wrote in message ...
This is were my question comes in.

1) Are the effects of the calcium carbonate worst of soluble calcium?

2) Is it possible to "rinse" the soil in the pots to wash out calcium
carbonate and salts left out from fertilizers?

Is there any effective (cheap test) to work it out? I would like to avoid
water analysis but, if it is the only way to set a proper strategy I will go
through it.

Thanks

P.S. - The soil isn't calcareous. It is made on purpose for citruses.

I don't have the answer, but it seems to me that this is what compost
tea is for. Humic acids can buffer a lot. Alternatively, you could
remove part of the soil in the pots and replace it with compost. Do
this every year, and cut down on fertilizer. I even put earthworms in
the pots to help with the mixing and buffering, since it is known that
worm castings are more neutral than the original soil.