Old 18-10-2004, 02:12 PM
Iris Cohen

Pronounce each syllable with equal stress and timing.

Sounds doable.

That will bring it close enough to be understood by a Japanese speaker.

I only know one Japanese orchid grower. The rest are Anglophones. So once and
for all, how do you pronounce Satsuki?

To keep this message bonsai related, I would just say that it sounds like
these would be a bit large to be companion plants in a tokonoma display.

True, I don't have a tokonoma anyway. I hope next year it blooms in time for
our orchid show.
It's tough to be multiply addicted. I just discovered that an unnamed Japanese
maple I was thinking of getting rid of because of an impossible nebari problem
has turned a gorgeous dark red. I may try to air-layer it next spring.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)