Old 24-10-2004, 07:26 PM
Kitsune Miko

Well I agree that Naka's trees are truly great, but we
are deaing with a living, ever changing art form.
Mozart was a pop artist of his time and now he is one
of the classical greats. If you really want to be
shaken up, look up Lisa Tajima on the net. I have her
book. She is classicaly trained and is gaing
recognition in the japanese bonsai community.

Kitsune Miko
--- Jim Lewis wrote:

Well.

Issue 93 of Bonsai Today contains within its pages
an example of
the contrast between true greatness and faddish,
wannabe
greatness.

Starting with "Goshen" on the cover and a couple
other John Naka
trees inside you have the greatness.

And then there are those things by Kimura on later
pages. I
wasn't going to comment on this contrast, my
opinions on Kimura
being what they are (over exposed, over designed,
over fussy,
and over decorated trees) but when the artist in the
family,
Jackie (wife), picked up the magazine and made the
same
comparison (and she doesn't know Kimura's pop
reputation) I
guessed I might not be too far off base.

Her reactions to Kimura's trees: "Just too, TOO.
Overdone. "

(And I certainly agree with the BT publisher about
the "tacky"
photos.)

IMHO, of course. 8=/

I'd wish magazines like BT would devote as much to
Naka's work
as they do to Kimura's.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL -
Nature
encourages no looseness, pardons no errors. Ralph
Waldo Emerson

++++Sponsored, in part, by Boon
Manakitivipart++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott