Old 09-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

Default Patio Plant Containers

Suzanne wrote:

We just bought an 8 foot schefflera tree to put on our screened-in
lanai, with white pavement. I looked at pots today and don't know what I
should get. I've been told plastic may be too light and blow over (we're
on a lake),

The weight of the plant and dirt counts too.

Lowes had a clay
pot that is 18 inches across the top, 12 inches across the bottom and 15
inches high.

Pots that are wider at the top than the base are less stable
than those that are cy,inders.

Will this be heavy and big enough for this plant?

What size pot is the plant in now?

K-Mart
had a very large plastic pot (at least 25 inches wide and 20 inches
high), but I'm afraid it might blow over--will it even with a 60-lb tree
and dirt in it?

If it does, you have more problems than just that pot.

Is it the pot itself that keeps it from blowing over
or the weight (more dirt=heavier?)

Weight of pot+plant, AND consider the leaf surface of the plant.
Dense plants are easier to tip over than ones with few leaves.

Buy the plastic one.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both