Old 25-10-2004, 03:11 PM
Doug

Doh! Good idea the picture, give me some time to figure out the
macro and find a place to host a photo.

This thing definitely looks like a tiny fern, but thanks for the NCSU
link. The weeds are thriving on my suburban quarter-acre in Cary, btw
:-)

"Baine Carruthers" wrote in message ...
No way (or where) to post a pic?

--
Baine

"Doug" wrote in message
om...
Can anyone identify this weed? Folks at the garden store couldn't (and
they had a specimen to view)

Anyway, thought I'd take a shot and ask you gardening experts

It looks a lot like a fern: dark green oblong rounded leaves extend
perpendicular from a woody reddish-colored stem. There are little
balls under the leaves along the stem (spores?).

The weed has appeared late in the summer and really seems to like the
cooler wet weather. It's spreading all over the yard.

The question is, what is it and how do I get rid of it? That is, is it
perennial or will it die off over the winter.

tia for any advice
Doug