Old 25-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Jim Lewis

On 25 Oct 2004 at 13:49, Richard Patefield wrote:

dalecochoy wrote:

..I'm just sitting here chuckling at a
critique of Mr. Kimura's tree styling practices ......by Jim Lewis??? :)

Personally, I would prefer a more developed style of critique -
referencing historical, cultural and economic contexts as well as the
aesthetic. Perhaps someone could comment in more detail the ways in
which these trees are 'problems'. Or point me to a text that can explain
more. Who are the critics of this art?

Its always been my view that those who can afford to patronise artists
get to decide who the geniuses are not the humble observers of the
finished artifacts.

Well, I don't know what Dale was referring to, but I wasn't
really "critiquing." I simply don't like his overly ornate
trees. Period. I like trees that appear to be styled by Ma
Nature -- not a Waring blender.

And specifically, I also thought the trees in that BT article
reprint were poor examples of his work.

Fine art critics notwithstanding, one really shouldn't
"critique" until one can "do" as well as the putative critiquee;
and I have never made that claim, and likely never will.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++