Old 25-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Frogleg

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:46:24 -0700, "Kenneth D. Schillinger"
wrote:

A few years ago I looked around the software market and found it lacking;
looks like things haven't changed a lot in the interim.

Consider the scope: to be even moderately useful, software would have
to include a huge plant database and a considerable range of
climatological data. When people ask "how many tomatoes should I plant
for a family of 4," my first response is "how well does your family
like tomatoes? Do you plan to can or dehydrate what you can't use at
once?" And of course, the proper number of zucchini plants per person
is 1/2.

Gardening is a vast topic with many variables. No wonder there aren't
any simple solutions.

One thing you *can* do is keep your own records. What does well and
where; what you particularly like or don't; what's more trouble than
it's worth, etc. A plain notebook with planting dates, varieties,
yields, etc. will become more and more useful as time goes by.