Old 25-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Kay

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REMO
VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes

I wasn't going to go on about this, but actually I did try to make
one of the orange-peel boxes (I was an inquisitive boy). I smoothed
the two halves over some kind of former and put them to dry.
Shape-wise, it was a failure; but they did dry very nicely, and it
was clear that they would have lasted quite as long as pressed
flowers do in ordinary household conditions. I don't think they need
a preservative. I'd love to think of a rather cleverer urgler taking
on the project and succeeding.

I would suggest doing it the other way around - let the whole orange dry
out - certainly a satsuma will do this if pierced with cloves, so I
wonder if a hole is necessary to get the innards to dry or whether you
could just put it in a very dry atmosphere? - then cut in half and
scrape out the dried remains of the innards.
--
Kay