Old 25-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Warren

Kenneth wrote:
I am considering running my mulching mower over our lawn rather than
raking the (modest amount) of leaves off...
[] Good idea...
[] Bad idea...
[] Other...
Thanks for any thoughts,

Depends on how many leaves we're talking about!

In my backyard, that strategy works great. In my front yard, there are
so many leaves that even if I ran the mulching mower over and over
again, I'd still have a layer so thick it would suppress the grass.

In the front yard I use a leaf vac - a big one that looks like a lawn
mower from a distance. The bag holds almost 2 cubic feet of shredded
leaves, and I'll get two bag-fulls twice a week from less than 400 sq ft
of lawn. No way I could leave that much on the lawn! I dump about half
of it on my vegetable garden, toss some manure on it, cover it with a
tarp, and till it all in come spring.

But the back and side yards just get mowed with the mulching mower, and
it works just fine. And the front yard usually gets the mulching mower
treatment once or twice as leaf season finishes. I just have too many of
them there to use it as the only way to handle leaves.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Black & Decker Landscaping Tools & Parts:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker