Old 26-10-2004, 02:34 AM
Pam - gardengal

"FACE" wrote in message
I see on Google that Dogwoods are free-bleeders. OK.

I made several pruning cuts on a dogwood yesterday. I went by it this
morning and it is dripping from all of them. Most of all from the end of

pruned branch less than 1" diameter.

The dogwood leaves have already turned red -- the temp is still running
lower 50s to lower 70s (zone 7a).

Should I wait until winter is here to continue pruning the dogwood or just
ignore the bleeding?

Wait until the tree is fully dormant - after complete leafdrop and couple of
hard frosts. FWIW, I'd avoid ANY excess pruning on a dogwood - they do not
appreciate it and generally respond with unattractive medusa-like growths of
multiple shoots at most pruning cuts. Limit pruning to removal of dead or
diseased wood or conflicting branches. And if the tree is infected with
anthracnose to any degree, pruning tends to exacerbate the development of
the disease.

pam - gardengal