Old 26-10-2004, 03:49 AM
Mark Herbert

In article ,
(simy1) wrote:

Kenneth wrote in message
. ..
Howdy,

I am considering running my mulching mower over our lawn rather than
raking the (modest amount) of leaves off...

I get about one foot of leaves in the frontyard, and a more modest
amount in the back. I mow/mulch them all, then as my neighbors pile
bags on the curb, I take those for the vegetable garden. So I use all
my leaves and bring in about half a ton a year extra. They are really
one of the best soil conditioners around, and in spring they disappear
completely.

I do the same. The earthworms love the stuff, and will aerate the soil
beneath wherever you deposit it.

I use an electric mower to mulch quite a load of leaves, but if they are
dry and I take my time, I can completely powder them in a reasonable
time. I always sharpen the blade halfway through the job.