Old 19-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Glenna Rose

writes:
Does anyone know how to keep the bugs and blight at bay when growing
tomatoes without using chemicals such as tomato dust? I have heard
that using the 'grey water' from the last cycle of the washing machine
works. Has any got any other suggestions? Thanks.

Simply saying "gray water" is not sufficient as all "additives" to clean
clothes are different.

An example, one detergent I used was not only very good for my rose bush
on which it drained, it was like a magic wand, unbelievable growth and no
bugs! I changed, very briefly, to Amway and nearly killed the plant.

That rinse water will contain much of the washing additive, be it soap or
detergent. For me, I wouldn't consider using any type of "gray water" on
my food plants. My philosophy is if I won't drink the water myself, I
don't want it on my food plants. Maybe extreme, but far safer for the
plants (and for me) as far as water is concerned.

With that said, I use laundry water for general watering quite often, lawn
and misc. other plants. I'm fortunate that my laundry room is at the back
making diverting it very simple.

As always, YMMV.

Glenna