Old 26-10-2004, 10:05 AM
Sacha

On 25/10/04 20:23, in article , "ned"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

snip
How high is your hedge and how old? IME, nothing grows easily under
leylandii, except perhaps, ivy.

I hope you appreciate this :-)

I do, I do!

I've just been out - in the dark - to measure it.
60ft Section A :- 8ft high. Tree spacing 2'6" to 3' apart. Base of
trunks, 7" to 9", probably 18 to 19 years old
60ft Section B :- 8'6" high. Spacing 3 ft. Base of trunks 9" to 12".
Probably 25 to 28 years old.
I've been tending it (lovingly) for the last 11 years.
In order to suppress all the normal hedge bottom weeds (nettle,
woundwort, nipplewort, goosegrass, bindweed, hedge garlic, ground ivy
and ivy, etc.) I am mulching with leylandii clippings and that is only
moderately successful. And grass grows right up to the south facing
hedge line without problem. The north facing side has a Leylandii
clipping mulch path between the hedge and the boundary line (allowing
access for trimming). Because I want to mow up to the hedge I have not
deliberately planted anything but, Honesty grows better there than
anywhere else. We have also had Michaelmas Daisy, Phlox, Strawberries,
Gooseberries, Mysotis, Aubretia, Lobelia, Allysum, Potentilla, Ash and
Elder saplings and Damson runners show up there of their own accord.

Now. Does that sound like the kiss of death to competing vegetation?

No, it doesn't but it does sound unusual to say the least. Both the
maintained height and the south facing part of it probably says a good deal
about what grows there but I have to say that generally speaking, most
peoples' experience is not yours!

Properly managed, Leylandii is just another plant.
There are some magnificently kept Leylandii hedges around.

Allowed to run wild, - sure, its a weed. Like Ivy. Like Russian Vine.
I do not know what all the fuss is about. :-)

The fuss is because many such hedges are *not* managed properly and the one
the OP is talking about is a case in point. It was allowed to get much too
tall and still is, from their point of view, I should think. While *you*
are managing your hedge, all is well but what if you sell the house? Will
the next owner be as conscientious, have the time, care as much? And IMO,
while you look after your hedge well, if someone wants a hedge to maintain
at 8' then planting beech will achieve the same results, more attractively
in what is my subjective opinion admittedly, and will put something back
into the soil each year.
Thank you for the night time act of daring! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk