Old 26-10-2004, 01:44 PM
Janet Galpin

The message
from J Jackson contains these words:

Janet Galpin wrote:
: The message
: from Edwin Spector contains these words:

: At an Apple Day last weekend, I got Winter Gem recommended as an
excellent
: keeper. I liked the apple - quite rich and firm. That was at Highfield
: Nurseries, Whitminster, Glos. (No interest to declare). I may even
: fork out the
: dosh for one.

: Edwin
: Bath.
: Thanks for this Edwin. I have actually got Winter Gem, although it
: hasn't fruited yet, so I can't comment on whether it lives up to its
: billing. Another late keeper I have is Tydeman's Late Orange which had
: one apple this year!

Another good keeper is Ashmead's Kernel. A semi-russet. Again needs a good
summer to fully ripen and it easily becomes bienniel. Lovely apple when in
good condition. Not sure if it keeps long enough for you - april easily.

Jim

April seems good. I'm not convinced that there *are* any apples which
keep later than April, which is why I was interested in the reference I
saw to D'Arcy Spice keeping until May. No-one has come up with
experience of this though, so it may be either that it doesn't keep till
May or that it's not a good apple in other ways.
Janet G